She Wore it Well!

"I never planned to acquire a lot of jewels
or a lot of husbands."



As a fellow Brit, I had to pay homage to the gorgeous Elizabeth Taylor, but from the perspective of her unbelieveable jewellery collection.

A love of precious jewels seems to be something she was born with. She recalls,

"My mother said I didn't open my eyes for eight days after I was born, and when I did, the first thing I saw was her engagement ring. I was hooked!"


Elizabeth Taylor went on to acquire one of the finest private collections of jewellery in the USA, altho' she always insisted that was never her intention.





The Bulgari sapphire and diamond necklace was another gift from Richard Burton. "He loved to watch my reaction to any piece he was buying."



Richard Burton bought the above set in emeralds and diamonds from Bulgari in Rome during the making of Cleopatra. He would go on to complete the set (previously owned by Russian royalty) with a matching ring, earrings, brooch and bracelet.


Particularly dear to Elizabeth was the Peregrina pearl bought for her by Richard on Valnetines Day in 1969. Three years later the couple took the pearl to Cartier (New York) where it was incorporated into a ruby and diamond choker.


The famous 33.19-carat Krupp diamond was bought by Richard in 1968 for a mind-boggling $305,000 -equivalent to about $2 million today. When Princess Margaret saw the ring, she asked "Is that the famous diamond........How very vulgar!" (unfortunately you wouldn't expect anything less from the Queen's sister).


Richard wasn't the only man to shower Elizabeth with precious gems. Her third husband Mike Todd gave her this dazzling Cartier diamond and ruby necklace, presenting it to her whilst she was in a pool. Elizabeth recalls, "Since there was no mirror around, I had to look into the water....... I just shrieked with joy."

No doubt many of these pieces will be sold as part of her estate. Lets just hope they go to a good home, where her memory will not be erased.


" I have been supremely lucky in my life in that I have known great love, and of course, I am the temporary custodian of some incredible and beautiful things".

9 comments:

  1. I hope a stylish, elegant woman purchases them and wears them well instead of a Kardashian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think jewels like these should be loved and worn rather than tucked away. And I second Rebekah. I do hope someone with taste rather than vulgarity wears them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely agree Rebekah and Kalee. It would be a tragedy if such "Z-listers" acquires such history;that would be so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Richard, Richard .... what a fabulous match you were for Elizabeth!! A man that appreciated the secret of how to bring a sparkle to her lavender eyes ... with jewelery, of course! (pardon while I sigh) ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. She had the most amazing collection, didn't she? And I just love that story she told about being hooked from birth. Certainly seems that way, doesn't it? :)

    Hope you had a fabulous weekend, sweetie. And I most definitely will send pix :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are stunning, Vanessa! Wow. :-) I'm so glad she could look back on her life and feel blessed in love. That is a real treasure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I really want green earrings, note green - I've accepted that emeralds are out of my reach!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful tribute to an amazing woman...she definitely taught us not to save our best for special occasions...break it out everyday!

    Every piece is amazing and she wore each with tremendous style. As always, lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fortunately, there are softshell jackets options for people who cannot afford to pay thousands of dollars for a designer discount gucci handbags. Discount designer handbags are available online at a fraction of the retail cheap chanel handbags price. These are the same designer handbags that are sold in major hermes birkin kelly handbags department stores, only these bags are on sale for a fraction louis vuitton monogram canvas .of the cost. Now anyone can have their own collection of designer handbags at an affordable price.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!